The McKinley Memorial Library provides access to the Internet and other electronic resources as part of our mission to help patrons obtain information to meet their personal, educational, and professional needs.
These policies and procedures apply to the use of all public computers in the Library:
- All patrons must use their own valid Library card from the McKinley Memorial Library or any other CLEVNET Library to use Library computers. A patron whose Library fines exceed $5 will not be permitted to use the computer.
- All patrons, regardless of age, must comply with the provisions of the McKinley Memorial Library Internet and Computer Use Policy at all times. Children under the age of 14 are prohibited from using the computers in the adult area. Patrons who are 14 years of age and older are prohibited from using the computers in the Children’s Room unless they are assisting a child on the computer.
- Patrons are limited to, but not guaranteed, a total of 120 minutes of computer use per day.
- When a patron’s session is about to end, the computer will display warning messages. It is the patron’s responsibility to make sure their work is saved and/or printed before their session ends. All programs and documents will automatically close when the session time expires. If a patron is finished with a computer before the end of the session, they must log out properly in order to maintain their privacy and indicate that the computer is available for another patron.
- Up to two patrons (or a child supervised by a parent/caregiver/guardian) may be at each computer. Library staff may limit use to one patron per computer due to space or noise considerations.
- All Internet computers are equipped with a filtering program that limits access to Internet sites and services in accordance with the Library’s Internet Use Policy. However, as filtering software cannot block access to all sites any individual might find objectionable, adults and children are urged to utilize caution, good judgment, and supervision as needed when using the Internet.
- In addition, patrons may not display material that is deemed inappropriate under the Internet Use Policy on any computers.
- Patrons may not put their own paper, envelopes, labels, or other materials into Library printers or copiers.
- Patrons must be aware of the version of any software product they are using; it may or may not be compatible with the versions that are on other computers they may be using (at home, work, or school). Attempting to work on a document or project in different software may result in unwanted changes and/or loss of data and/or files.
- Patrons are responsible for saving their own work onto their own memory/storage device. Files cannot be saved on the computer’s hard drive. Flash drives are available for purchase.
- The sound on computers is available with headphones.
- Library staff is available to conduct brief orientations on the use of Library computers. However, staff cannot provide tutorials or answer in-depth questions. The Library offers one-on-one technology appointments to provide tutorials or assist with computer needs.
- Patrons are welcome to bring their own computer into the Library. Designated power outlets are available for patron use. Patrons may also check out a power bank in order to charge a computer or device.
Revised and approved by the McKinley Memorial Library Board of Trustees on September 8, 2022.