The National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Association wasNational Birthplace Memorial incorporated
by a special Act of Congress on March 4, 1911.  The purpose of the Association was to erect a suitable structure marking the birthplace of President William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States. The result was the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial.

McKinley was born in the city of Niles, Ohio on January 29, 1843. The city donated the site for the Memorial which consisted of an entire city square. The architects were McKim, Mead & White of New York and the erection of the Memorial was done by John H. Parker Company, also of New York. Groundbreaking began in 1915 with the corner stone being laid on November 20, 1915.

The building was dedicated on October 5, 1917. 
The cost was more than half a million dollars, all of which was donated by the American public.

The 232 foot by 136 foot by 38 foot monument is constructed of Georgian marble with two lateral wings--
one winghouses the public library called the McKinley Memorial Library, and the other wing houses the
McKinley Museum and an auditorium. The Museum contains artifacts of the life and presidency of McKinley.  

   In the center of the Memorial is a Court of 
   Honor supported by 28 imposing columns.
   It features a heroic statue of McKinley
   sculptured by John Massey-Rhind.
   Surrounding the statue are busts and
   tablets dedicated to the members of
   McKinley's cabinet and other prominent
   men who were closely associated with him.
   These bronze busts, mounted on marble
   pedestals, weigh between 800 and 1100
   pounds each.



   McKinley Statue